Equity Conversations – The Equity Council was created in 2013 and was charged with creating a foundation and a framework to train teachers and others to facilitate courageous conversations about equity and inclusion in the classroom and with other adults in the district. From 2014-2017, staff members engaged in equity conversations on a monthly basis. In 2016 the Equity Council was reimagined as the Restorative Practices Collaborative with the goal of narrowing the achievement gap for students and improving the culture within the District for students, teachers, and faculty through the use of intentional community and relationship building restorative practices.
Below is just a sampling of some the Equity Conversations. Please contact email@example.com if you would like access to more detailed information about any of these conversations.
EQUITY CONVERSATIONS TOPICS AND RESOURCES:
- Why Race? Introduction to Courageous Conversations
The Power of Language https://www.racialequitytools.org/glossary
English Language Learners NEA English Language Learners Video
White Privilege Unpacking the Invisible Backpack – Peggy McIntosh
Rethinking Poverty Equity Literacy Principles for Educators of Students Experiencing Poverty
Beads of Privilege The Beads of Privilege Activity
Queer and Trans 101 http://www.outrightvt.org
- ADDITIONAL EQUITY CONVERSATIONS FROM THE ARCHIVES:
- Student Voice
- Tools for Confronting Racism and Micro-aggressions
- Discovering Our Own Biases
- Why Race? Going Deeper into Protocols
- The Importance of Names
- Cultural Proficiency: A Moral Imperative
- Looking at Data through an Equity Lens
- Colorblind or Colorbrave?
- Microaggression Themes: Derald Wing Sue
- NEWER EQUITY CONVERSATIONS!
- Characteristics of White Supremacy Culture Characteristics of White Supremacy Culture – SURJ,White Supremacy Culture Checklist
- Equity Literacy – Equity Literacy for Educators: Definition and Abilities, Basic Principles for Equity Literacy– Paul Gorski
- Equitable Approaches to SEL When SEL is Used as Another Form of Policing
- Circle Up! Transforming Classrooms with Restorative Practices Circle Up! Transforming Classrooms with Restorative Practices Video
- The Anti-Racist Educator
- Intersections of PBIS and Restorative Practices
The Equity Council was created in 2013 to support equity and inclusion initiatives of the District, and to learn from each other about the compelling and often challenging topics that we, as a diverse school district, encounter daily.