S.O.A.R. Registration Open Through April 9
Dear Burlington Families,
The Burlington School District is happy to be able to provide the S.O.A.R. (Summer Opportunities Academics & enRichment) Program this summer. In this program, participants will gain critical reading and math skills through four weeks of high-quality project-based academic offerings and theme-based enrichment activities, all designed to prevent summer learning loss.
The program is open to students currently in kindergarten through grade five who meet one or more of the following criteria:
- below standard in math or literacy, or
- eligible for free or reduced school lunch, or
- receive Title, English Learner or Special Education services.
Due to the Coronavirus pandemic we are making several modifications to the program to increase safety protocols for our students and staff. We have shortened the program to run for 4 weeks, Mondays – Thursdays, from 9AM – 1PM. We regret that we cannot offer an afterschool component due to health program guidance and we will also not be able to offer field trip experiences this summer. In addition, families will need to adhere to new arrival and dismissal protocols. And finally, we will unfortunately not be able to serve the same number of students as we have in past years as capacity will be limited.
We are reopening program registration for 1 week only (beginning today) for families who have not yet completed the online registration process. For families who already registered, we will reach out to you to determine if you would still like your registration to be considered in light of the program modifications.
DATES / TIMES / LOCATION:
- June 29th – July 24th
- Monday – Thursday, 9AM – 1PM (no afterschool program)
- J.J. Flynn Elementary School, 1645 North Avenue
CRITICAL HEALTH DETAILS:
- Daily health checks will occur for all students and staff
- Masks will be required for all students and staff
- No shared common spaces will be open, no co-mingling of classrooms will occur
- Staff will remain with the same group for the duration of the program
- Program will be on-site only, no community field trips
- Lunch will be provided, with students eating in their classroom
- S.O.A.R. is a free program. We ask if families are interested in applying for state subsidy to support program costs.
- Transportation is limited and we may not be able to meet every student’s needs. More information is available in the online registration form.
- We are reopening program registration for 1 week only (beginning today) through PowerSchool.
- For families who already registered, we will reach out to you to determine if you would still like your registration to be considered in light of the program modifications.
- Registration must be submitted by Tuesday, June 9th to be considered for program acceptance. Space is very limited due to the health guidelines.
- PLEASE NOTE: Completion of registration DOES NOT GUARANTEE ENROLLMENT. Families will be notified via email if their student(s) has a place in the program by Tuesday, June 16th.
Please see this document for registration instructions and additional information about the program.
The mission of the Burlington Expanded Learning Opportunities program is to foster the social and academic success of Burlington youth through high quality afterschool and summer programming in an environment that creates lasting connections with peers, adults and the community.
Expanded Learning Highlighted in National Report – Read the story.