The Mission of the Burlington School District is to graduate students who:
- Value different cultures
- Engage with the community
- Communicate effectively
- Think creatively
- Skillfully solve problems
- Achieve at their highest academic, intellectual, and personal potential
BSD: Cultivating Caring, Creative, and Courageous People- Join the Journey!
Our Core Beliefs:
- Every child can succeed
- Families and community are partners in educating our children
- Diversity and inclusion promote strong schools and communities
- A welcoming, supportive climate fosters learning
- Self-reflection and accountability improve our practices
Our North Star:
Every learner is challenged, empowered, and engaged.
In Burlington School District, equity means meeting the needs of ALL members of our educational community. Educational equity is a districtwide and individual commitment to an assets-based approach defined by personalized support and equitable access to opportunity. In BSD, we strive to ensure that everyone receives the support needed to develop socially, emotionally, and intellectually inclusive of race, class, ability, sex, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, national origin, language, culture, and creed.
The means to achieve the goal of educational equity in our schools includes:
- Actively work to remove the predictability of success or failure that currently correlates with any social, racial, or cultural factors.
- Acknowledge and address bias and discrimination that negatively affect our students, their families, and our staff.
- Work to dismantle systems of oppression and white supremacy culture in schools.
- Continually examine and re-examine biases to interrupt and replace inequitable systems, practices, policies, and procedures with those that are just and equitable.
- Create inclusive, anti-racist, culturally relevant curriculum and school environments for adults and children.
- Redistribute District resources based on academic, social, and economic data to better serve our most marginalized students and families.
- Partner with students, families, and community members to build a truly inclusive community where all voices are included.
Statement on LGBTQ+ Advocacy
We at Burlington School District (BSD) stand committed to transforming BSD into a national model for holistic wellness for LGBTQ+ people, youth, and adults. We stand in solidarity with LGBTQ+ students, staff, and community members and believe that schools can truly be safe only when every student is assured access to an education without fear. We stand behind our BSD staff who pursue a safe and supportive environment for all students. We also stand behind our educators who teach an inclusive curriculum that features LGBTQ+ people, history, and events and raises awareness to counter discrimination, stereotypes, bias, and harassment.