Members of the BHS/BTC 2025 Design Team presented five conceptual design options to the Burlington Board of School Commissioners on April 5th before hosting a community forum on April 12.
Below you will find a recording of the community forum, more details on all of these options, a feedback survey, and information on how to connect with the board on these options.
As you read through the options below, you may find our Options Evaluation Document helpful in pointing out some of the pros and cons of each design, and our recent presentation to the Design Steering Committee includes even more detail, like possible floor plans. It is also important to remember that the concept options all share the following potential benefits to the district:
- Include approximately 300,000 SF of space in alignment with the District program
- Include the same Educational Program elements as listed on the Space Needs Summary
- Include potential for a 3 station gym, larger cafeteria commons, and larger auditorium
- Have discrete vehicular circulation for bus drop-off, car drop-off, and service access to BTC
- Have dedicated building entrances for visitors, bus drop-off, car drop-off, Horizons / On-Top, and BTC
- High School entrances lead to a shared multi-level student commons for monitoring, access, and security
- Excellent opportunity for sustainable design, good solar orientation, and indoor/outdoor relationships
- Show a potential location for future district offices, but this building is not planned in this project
- Existing Bike parking at the old site is 40 Bikes, all of these designes plan for 243 Bikes.
- Overall the existing site has 350 parking spots. All of these designs have incorporated about 375 parking spots
- All will feature opportunities to make courtyard space usable
Once you review the options below, please take a few minutes to provide feedback through this short survey, or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please let us know your thoughts! Want to talk more about the options ahead for BHS/BTC 2025? Members of the Burlington School Board will be available to discuss the options every day from 5-6 PM at Fletcher Free Library until April 27. Stop by the Community Room on the Ground Floor to connect and share!
Option A: $191.4 M
- Allows for continued use of existing Building A during the two years of construction
- Places BTC to north side of building
- Parking garage is optional, and would provide drop-off at main level and parking in close proximity to building
Option B: $182.3 M
- Compact scheme based on building over existing high school location
- BTC located behind BHS on north side, closely connected to BHS near the student commons
- Again a reminder that courtyards are inherent in all designs. So if we do pick this, its not like we are picking the ‘small courtyard’ option, that is something that will be discussed in more detail during the schematic design process.
Option C: $181.3 M
- Linear arrangement based on building over existing high school location parallel to Institute Road
- BTC facing Institute Road on west side, connected to BHS on multiple levels
Option C.1: $186.5 M
- Variation created by shifting Option C east in order to allow phased construction
- Allows for continued use of existing Building A during the construction of new gym, auditorium, and kitchen; BTC programs would continue in their temporary locations
- BTC would open 12-18 months after BHS
Option D: $196.9 M
- Replaces Institute Road with a new south route to create a consolidated campus
- Aligns new building facing North Avenue with BTC entry and bus entry to rear
- Compact, L-shaped footprint with BHS and BTC on separate wings around central core spaces
- City support to coordinate new road and likely longer project duration
Thank you for taking the time to look through these options. Ready to provide your feedback? Take the survey today!
Check out the board meeting presentation below, beginning at 22:38.