“Love Your Neighbor Day” Resources:
- Champlain Elementary: Love Your Neighbor Sample Lesson Plan
- Countering Islamophobia in High School: https://www.tolerance.
org/classroom-resources/ tolerance-lessons/countering- islamophobia
- 8 Ways to Support Muslim Students and Push Back Against Islamophobia: https://www.
teachforamerica.org/ teacherpop/8-ways-support- muslim-students-and-push-back- against-islamophobia
- Islamophobia Through the Eyes of a Middle School Student: http://blog.ed.ted.
com/2015/08/06/islamophobia- through-the-eyes-of-a-middle- school-student/
- Teacher Resources for Talking to Students About Islamophobia: http://
interfaithcenter.org/teacher- resources-for-talking-with- students-about-islamophobia/
- 7-minute Video: “Teaching ‘Different is okay’ to combat Islamophobia in U.S. Schools” https://www.youtube.
Diversity and Equity Resources
- Responding to Hate and Bias at School: A Guide for Administrators, Counselors, and Teachers
- Immigrant and Refugee Children: A Guide for Educators and School Support Staff: Now, more than ever, these vulnerable students need advocates in Schools
- Read TNTP’s blog post titled, Why Social Justice Should’ve Been at the Heart of My Teaching, But Wasn’t| by Steven LaFemina, December 06, 2016
- Here’s Teaching Tolerance’s Critical Practices for Anti-Bias Education. Organized into four sections: Instruction, Classroom Culture, Family and Community Engagement, and Teacher Leadership, this framework provides practical strategies and insight for implementing culturally responsive pedagogy and describes how teachers can bring anti-bias values to life.
- Please visit tolerance.org for a variety of classroom resources and webinars.
- Read BSD’s 2014-2017 Strategic Plan for Diversity and Equity.
Here are some resources for Culturally Responsive Teaching:
- Brown University: The Education Alliance Knowledge Loom: Culturally Responsive Teaching
- Anti-defamation League: Anti-Bias Resources
- ASCD Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development: The Framework for Culturally Responsive Teaching
- University of Delaware Center for Teaching and Learning: Teaching for Diversity, Inclusion, and Equity
- Region X Equity Assistance Center: Culturally Responsive Teaching 2016 Guide to Evidence-Based Practices for Teaching all Students Equitably